The glutes are very big muscles and can cause a lot of aching and stiffness if you perform certain exercises like squats. Having tight glutes can affect many types of movement, including bending over, lifting your legs up, walking and jumping. Back pain is also often caused due to having tight glutes, so this is another reason why stretching the glute is so important as it helps prevent injury and improve posture.
Step by Step guide
- Sit on a mat with your knees bent and feet flat to the floor
- Place your leg onto the other knee, with your ankle resting on the top of your thigh
- Place both hands behind the back of the bent knees and hold
- Slowly bracing onto your leg, lay backwards, pulling your bent leg closer for more of a stretch
- Hold the stretch for 20 – 30 seconds